Subscribe:

Pages

Tuesday, 4 July 2017

(The Star) Jalan Rawang-Batu Arang contraflow to end next year

Seven years on and the 3km tidal traffic flow along Jalan Rawang-Batu Arang continues, but now, it is only carried out during the evening rush hour.

Former Selayang municipal councillor Gunarajah R. George, who had initiated the plan in 2010, said the tidal traffic flow would stop next year after the road expansion project by the Public Works Department (JKR) is completed.

“However, it could take another six months before we put an end to it.

“Previously, the state provided funding for 200 cones to demarcate the tidal flow, some with lights on the top.

“These cones were placed along the road at five-metre intervals to alert motorists.

“However, over the years, some of the cones were damaged by heavy vehicles and we are short of cones so they are now only placed every 50m from 4pm to 9pm, Monday to Friday.

“Initially, some corporate bodies also provided allocations for the cones but now we are looking for Good Samaritans to help out,” Gunarajah said.

He was speaking at a Hari Raya Aidilfitri event for Bandar Country Homes residents and JKR workers. Also present was Selayang MP William Leong.

Gunarajah, who is also Leong’s political secretary, presented money packets to the workers in appreciation of their support and dedication in laying the cones along the tidal traffic flow stretch.

Leong said residents had asked the authorities to extend the tidal traffic flow to 10pm.

“Residents complain that many of them return from work late and traffic is still heavy at 10pm along this route.

“I have asked JKR to extend the tidal traffic flow by an hour and they are looking into it.

“Any change, however, will only last until the road expansion project is finished,” he said.