Subscribe:

Pages

Monday, 10 July 2017

(The Star) Council shelves 100%-consent rule for G&G schemes in Klang

The Klang Municipal Council (MPK) has put on hold its requirement for 100% consent from all households for the implementation of the gated-and-guarded (G&G) scheme in Klang.

MPK made the decision during its one-stop-centre (OSC) meeting last week following objections raised by numerous residents associations (RAs).

The scheme was introduced in Klang in May.

MPK president Datuk Mohd Yasid Bidin told StarMetro the decision was made in view of the objections raised by several RAs and Klang municipal councillors.

Yasid said the council had left the matter to the councillors to carry out a thorough study on the policy before making a final decision.

“The councillors will be called for a meeting with the planning unit where they will be briefed on the newly drafted guideline.

“They will then study the guideline thoroughly before giving their input on how to improve it,” he said.

Until a final decision is made, Yasid said, the 26 new applications received from various RAs for the G&G scheme would be put on hold.

However, Yasid said the council’s 75% consent requirement from households for guarded scheme would remain.

He added that under the new guideline, the requirement for the guarded scheme was reduced from 85% to 75%.

MPK councillor Yew Boon Lai, who has a seat in the OSC, said the decision to put on hold the implementation of the 100% consent requirement policy was a positive move.

Since the implementation of the policy two months ago, Yew said, the councillors had been receiving numerous negative feedback from the RAs.

He said the RAs had described the policy as impractical and unrealistic as they anticipated difficulty in obtaining 100% consent from residents.

“We understand the RAs’ situation.

“We also believe that there is a serious need for the council to come up with a suitable policy that will make it practical for the implementation of the G&G scheme,” he added.