Subscribe:

Pages

Thursday, 13 July 2017

(NST) MRT Corp rubbishes claim SBK line completion was "rushed"


KUALA LUMPUR: The delivery of Phase 2 of the Sungai Buloh-Kajang (SBK) MRT line was not rushed, its project director said today.

Marcus Karakashian said project owners were not pressured to open Phase 2 ahead of schedule.

"(MRT Corp) were not rushing. We are ready to go.

"There were 3 months of trials. There will be tweaking, but we are ready to go," he said at the pre-launch of Phase 2 of the mega project today.

He also told the press that the trial run for Phase 1 was less extensive and as a result, there were slight issues, such as train automated passenger gate doors not opening.

Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak is scheduled to launch the second phase of the SBK line on Monday, allowing the train to run the entire 51km alignment from Sungai Buloh to Kajang.

The first phase, covering 21km from Sungai Buloh to Semantan and consisting of 12 stations, became fully operational in December last year.

Work is under way on MRT’s second line, the Sungai Buloh-Serdang-Putrajaya (SSP) Line, which is targeted for completion in 2022, while the third line is still on the drawing board.