Subscribe:

Pages

Monday, 8 May 2017

(The Star) Klang bridge opening delayed

Klang folks will have to wait a little longer before the royal town’s third bridge can be used by motorists.

Although the construction of the RM220mil structure has been completed, it is learnt that the bridge has yet to have electricity supply connected and that is the cause for the delay.

Despite having concrete barriers to prevent vehicles from using it, some motorists still manage to squeeze through to get to the other end of the bridge.

The traffic lights at Jalan Goh Hock Huat meant to facilitate smooth flow of traffic for those heading towards North Klang is also not functioning.

An Selangor Public Works Department (JKR) spokesman said the bridge would be opened by end of this month.

However, he declined to state the cause for the delay.

He said aside from some minor touch-up work, the bridge was completed and roads connecting to it from both ends were done.

“The bridge will connect the northern and southern parts of Klang through Jalan Goh Hock Huat and Jalan Sungai Bertih to Persiaran Raja Muda Musa,” he said.

Klang municipal councillor Jeremy Khoo when contacted confirmed that the delay was due to electricity supply yet to be connected for the bridge.

Khoo, who is part of the council's infrastructure committee, said the council had been working closely with JKR and was confident that the bridge would be opened within the month.

“We are aware that there has been some technical glitches and electricity has yet to be supplied.

“JKR told us that it is not safe to open the bridge without electricity as it is dangerous for motorists to use it at night especially when the traffic lights are not functioning,” he said.

Last month, StarMetro reported that the much-awaited third bridge in Klang is expected to be opened in April.