Petaling Jaya mayor Mohd Azizi Mohd Zain said no application has been received for the Petaling Jaya Dispersal Link (PJD).
Speaking at the Petaling Jaya City Council’s (MBPJ) full board meeting yesterday, he said if an application had been made for the proposed elevated highway to the state government, the council would have been informed as well.
The PJD Link is said to follow a similar route as the Kinrara-Damansara Expressway (Kidex), which was rejected by the state government last year.
It was reported that residents around the Section 14 area had received pamphlets about the link, raising fears that Kidex was being resurrected under a new name.
Section 5 councillor Derek Fernandez said improving public transport was more important.
“In order of priority, we would be looking at say, a Bus Rapid Transit or public transport as the highest priority for that route, followed by pedestrians, and then only a highway,” he said.
The meeting also discussed plans for MBPJ to map and plot the various utility lines and pipes within the city.
Previously, Section 2 councillor Ermeemariana Saadon had raised the issue of delays to drainage upgrades in her area as contractors were not aware of the presence of several underground utility connections.
“Previously, the Selangor Economic Planning Unit (Upen) had been directed by the state government to collate the various underground plans for sewerage, water and telecommunications for the different local authorities,” said Mohd Azizi.
This would have created a comprehensive overall picture and helped the local authorities in terms of planning and carrying out upgrading works, the mayor added.
However, although the utility companies submitted layouts of their local connections, they did not give a city wide layout.
“We’ll have to do it by ourselves, and the Engineering Department will have to look at the cost of carrying out such a survey,” he said.
The issue of Petaling Jaya’s ageing population was also raised by Fernandez, who urged the council to look into planning and zoning for retirement and aged-living communities.
“As at Dec 31 last year, 60% of the city’s population is 45 years and above, and many houses are being converted into old folks homes,” he pointed out.
Fernandez added that while the need for such facilities could be met by private companies, the authorities, including the city council, should come up with initiatives such as affordable housing for poor senior citizens.
Expect delays in the KTM Komuter services tomorrow as works on the Klang Valley Double Track Project (KVDT) will start.
The infrastructure and systems upgrading work will be done in four phases along the route from Tanjung Malim - Rawang - Port Klang.
The four phases are: Rawang-Simpang Batu and Kuala Lumpur-Port Klang; Simpang Batu- Kuala Lumpur-Sentul-Simpang Batu; and Port Klang-Salak Selatan.
The project is expected to be completed in 2019.
KTM Berhad Project Management general manager Ismail Said said that Electric Train Services (ETS), KTM Komuter and KTM Kargo operating along the Tanjung Malim-Rawang-Port Klang route would be affected and there would be changes on the travel schedule.
“This is because one track will be closed to make way for the upgrading works and only one track will be used for the trains,” he said during a briefing with the media at KL Sentral yesterday.
He added that the peak period for train service would remain the same, with 15-minute intervals.
“But the off-peak frequency, now at 30-minute interval, will go up to an hour,” he said.
Ismail added that KTM services nationwide would not be affected by the project.
Once completed, he said commuters could expect a 7.5-minute interval.
“The project will increase safety standards for passengers and train operations,” he said.
The 16 KTM stations along the route will also be upgraded with new toilets, surauand longer canopy for passengers to wait for their trains.
KTM Berhad Commuter Services general manager Azshidah Shah Shahari said train delays and cancellations were expected during the course of the project.
“We have plans to handle any contingencies that arise but we are not expecting any problems as we have notified the public about the upgrade, a month ago,” she said.
She also assured the public that there would be no increase in train fares after work was completed.
Those who are affected by the upgrading work could take alternative bus transport.
Public buses are available every 10 minutes on the Rawang-Medan Pasar route at RM3.70 one-way.
There will also be Bus Expressway Transit (BET) on the Bandar Tasik Puteri/Rawang-Medan Pasar route with three services in the morning and another three in the afternoon.
The fare is also RM3.70 one-way.
For bus routes and info, visit www.spad.gov.my. For train schedules and latest info, call 03-2267 1200 or visit www.ktmb.com.my
Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL) and the Pemudah Traffic Task Force Committee have teamed up to improve traffic conditions around the city.
The changes to traffic, which involve major roads in the city such as Jalan Tun Razak, Jalan Kuching and Jalan Ampang, aim to reduce congestion and facilitate smoother flow of vehicles around the city centre.
Committee chairman Datuk Pardip Kumar Kukreja said so far, around 50 spots in central Kuala Lumpur had been enhanced and he likened the improvements to a software rather than hardware upgrade.
“We started work six months ago and our target is to work on two spots in the city every week.
“We are almost done with improvements along Jalan Tun Razak and our next target is to accelerate traffic flow along Jalan Kuching.
“It will cost not more than RM200,000.
“Poor driving habits and behaviours are causing congestion.
“We need first world mentality drivers to go with our first world infrastructure,” said Pardip, adding that the adjustments to improve traffic flow were also meant to discipline drivers.
He added that they used methods such as a proper single-lane channelisation of traffic to speed up traffic flow and stop criss-crossing of vehicles.
Some of the U-turns and traffic lights were also removed to ease traffic flow.
DBKL executive director (Planning) Datuk Mohd Najib Mohd said they used surveillance videos from the Integrated Transport Information System (ITIS) to study traffic in congested areas and map out possible solutions.
“We cannot be constructing new roads in the city because in the end it will come up to six lanes or more.
“So instead, we are improvising the existing systems as the infrastructure is already good.
Mohd Najib said DBKL planned to develop a more integrated or holistic approach to commuting into the city.
“These improvements are intended to get people from one place to the other more quickly, with priority given to people commuting into the city.
“We are trying to reduce travel time from two hours to 90 minutes so it is not only about road infrastructure but also using public transport as an alternative,” he said.
The heavily congested Jalan Tun Razak was the first road tackled by the committee.
Kerbs were installed at the Jalan Pahang roundabout to prevent motorists from changing lanes.
Traffic lights at the Jalan Tun Razak flyover and the U-turn at Jalan Ampang’s Flamingo Hotel were also removed to create smoother traffic flow.
DBKL officers will be stationed at the Bukit Bintang area to prevent motorists parking along the road and blocking traffic.
“We have also installed two traffic lights at the congested Segambut roundabout to ensure smoother flow of traffic, ” said Mohd Najib.
He added that DBKL would use live video recordings from ITIS and rainfall data from the Drainage and Irrigation Department to identify critical areas affected by flash floods and how to redirect traffic away from the water-clogged roads.
Mohd Najib said vehicles breaking down on major roads in the city was also contributing to traffic congestion.
He said a study would be carried out to determine if there was a need to prohibit old vehicles and those which were not serviced regularly – especially commercial lorries – from entering the city.
He added that another project being carried out was the construction of rain shelters under pedestrian bridges for motorcyclists.
“One of the rain shelters that has been built is at the former U-turn near Flamingo Hotel along Jalan Ampang,” he added.
SHAH ALAM: I-Bhd is targeting to double its revenue and obtain steady revenue of RM500mil to RM600mil per annum by 2018.
The group also has plans to accumulate a RM1bil investment property portfolio by 2018.
Its current investment property portfolio stands at RM285mil.
“We have delivered the first phase of I-Bhd’s growth plan, which is to make property development the main contributor.
“Revenue from the property development segment had grown eightfold since 2012 to RM200mil in 2015,” said I-Bhd deputy chairman Datuk Eu Hong Chew after the group’s AGM yesterday.
The second phase of the group’s plan involves developing the investment property portfolio and leisure segments in order to contribute significantly to the group’s performance, with targets for these segments’ recurring income to contribute half of I-Bhd’s earnings.
As such, the group will invest RM20mil for its theme park’s upgrading works, scheduled to be completed by December this year.
In addition, I-Bhd is expected to perform much better than last year, on the back of unbilled sales of RM745mil as of end March 2016.
KUALA LUMPUR: Brahim’s Holdings Bhd, which is looking to finalise a deal with KTM Bhd (KTMB) as part of its revenue-diversification strategy, expects to “seal the deal” soon.
Executive chairman Datuk Seri Ibrahim Ahmad Badawi said the in-flight caterer-cum-restaurant operator was in its “final stages” of discussions with KTMB to provide railway catering services.
“We’ve been doing a pilot test for the past six months and we’re looking to formalise an arrangement with KTMB within the next two months,” he said after the company’s AGM yesterday.
“KTMB makes between 34 and 36 trips daily, so the potential for growth is there.”
The move to tie up with KTMB and provide services other than its core business of airline catering is part of Brahim’s move to boost its earnings. The company had been in the red for two consecutive years.
For its financial year ended Dec 31, 2015, Brahim’s reported a net loss of RM15.73mil on a revenue of RM281.78mil.
“For 2016, we should return to the black. We have had a few bad years,” said Ibrahim, adding that talks were still ongoing with pilgrim fund Lembaga Tabung Haji (LTH) for opportunities in the Middle East.
He said the company hoped to widen its collaboration with LTH by providing catering services for pilgrims in Saudi Arabia.